Baby’s First Milestones
You will often be told as a first time Parent; “Cherish every moment, they grow up so fast.” “Time will fly, make the most of them as babies.” “They will be teenagers before you know it.”
It’s true! When you are in the thick of caring for your new-born, time most certainly does fly! The initial 12 week scan captures the essence of your baby for the very first time. There will be many, many, more memories that you will want to preserve for their lifetime. Aside from a formal NHS red medical book, provided by your health visitor, I want to share other fun and creative ways to record your baby’s milestone developments.
Which baby milestones can you record?
From day one and over the twelve months that follow; your baby will amaze you, make you laugh and cry. You will be overcome with emotions that you have never felt before, unknowingly you will be doing the same for your baby. They will be learning so much daily, which will show in their; facial expressions, body, noises, beautiful smiles, and heart melting giggles.
Each baby develops at their own pace, it can be a minefield and add stress to a Parent if they feel their baby isn’t doing the same as other babies, or what they think their little one ‘should’ be doing. It’s OK, like adults, we all have our quirks, strengths and weaknesses, your baby will too. It’s OK for them to do some things and other things – not so much. As always, the advice is; if you are concerned about your baby’s development and health, always make an appointment to see your GP or health visitor, stay away from Google!
You will watch your baby move through physical milestones of movement as they get to grips with their limbs and what they are used for, sensory milestone as they find great joy and wonder in exploring their new world and lastly, behavioural and emotional milestones as their little personality develops.
How you can remember baby’s milestones
Here at In Craft Corner I can provide ways for you to record your baby’s milestone memories. A lot of the special moments happen when you aren’t expecting them. You will be captivated the first time your baby lifts their head or smiles at you. You can mark the day on your baby’s first calendar with a baby milestone sticker. Other milestones such as the first time they start cooing and making louder sounds can also be recorded on a milestone calendar and timeline chart.
From their first cuddly toy they get attached to, to the first outfit you proudly dress them in other than a baby grow, I can create a keep sake for you in the form of toys and memory bears.
Other ways you can remember baby’s milestones are with:
Baby milestone charts
Ages for baby milestones
A baby develops everyday in ways that we can’t see, their brains, nervous system, and internal organs are all changing and developing without any effort. The main cycles that we tend to see fall into 4 main stages, although each baby may develop sooner or later than others.
- Lifting their heads to their delight.
- Smiles and laughter, which can sometimes be their expression when they pass wind, slightly comical to witness when you learn the different cues of when a bowel movement is imminent.
- Bath times, a baby can either love or loath bath time, be prepared!
- More movement – tummy time! They may start to roll over and sit up. You may well find them in a different corner of their cot when you wake in the morning.
- Your baby may start to teeth.
- Weening may also begin.
- Motor skills will become more noticeable as they start to grab and attempt to pick up objects.
6- 9 months
- Wilful behaviour makes an entrance – if it already hasn’t, your baby will communicate in their own way if they like or don’t like something.
- Feeding times will be interesting to say the least as you give them a variety of tastes and textures to try.
- Babbling and mimicking your voice and sounds will be like copycat playtime on repeat.
- Your baby may be crawling, cruising and well on their way to taking independent steps.
- Chatterbox! A concerto of their own sounds and a few first words can start to emerge.
- Their cognitive development could have reached a level where they are able to understand simple words and instructions when you talk to them
- Baby’s first birthday is here!
How I can help
In craft corner would be delighted to help build your timeline for baby milestones by creating beautiful and unusual baby gifts and memory keepsakes. Get in touch to place an order and let’s get creating and keep those memories.